Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What do I think about Thomas and Victors relationship

     What do I think about Thomas and Victors relationship? Well there is a lot that I think about this. I understand that Victor had a rough life, but so did Thomas. You never see Thomas acting so cold hearted. I feel that their lives are alot a like. Thomas didn't have his parents, but neither did Victor in a way. Victors parents drank a lot which caused his father to leave the family when he was just a young boy. Victor was extremely mean to Thomas. Almost every time Thomas would talk Victor would tell him to be quiet.
     I think one of the first times that Thomas actually stuck up for himself was when Victor asked him for some money to go get his fathers remains. Thomas told him he would give him the money if he could go with him. Victor didn't want Thomas to go because he got on his nerves with all his story telling, suit wearing, and smiling face. This was the opposite of Victor. Victor hardly ever smiled or talked. He always tried to look tough. He even tried to change Thomas. He said that this was the way Indians are suppose to be.
     I think the thing that Thomas talked about the most, and upset Victor, was what brought them together at the end of the movie. It upset Victor greatly when Thomas would talk about his father. Sometimes it seemed like Thomas knew Victors father better then he did. I think Victor just didn't want to see the good sides of his father. Finally at the end of the movie Victor realized how good of a friend Thomas is and he apologised for the way he treated him. He also became a lot nicer to him and treated him like a true friend.

8 comments:

  1. I really like your thinking about Victor trying to change Thomas to be like him a stoic indian. I had not thought about this. I feel the same way, both boys lost a lot through their young lives. Do you think it is possible to leave some of the "hims" out of your writing? Good job. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mattie,

    I like the comparisons you make between Thomas and Victor. Both had difficult childhoods. I wonder if Victor takes his frustration out on Thomas, since Victor can't resolve his issues with his dad. Being stoic makes sense given the way Victor deals with his problems; he's trying to present himself as a tough guy, one without emotion and fear, which as we learn is not the case.

    Thanks for your insights.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mattie,
    I liked that your viewing of the movie brought a different insight to you than I had. I think Victor and Thomas were friends, even though they were different they had a connection that was never broken. The mistreatment of Thomas by Victor was not accepted but understood by Thomas. He had more insight into what Victor was feeling than Victor did.

    BetteJo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mattie,
    I enjoyed your reading and how you compared the relationship between the two. I think it is funny how one event and one moment in a single day could change your life forever. I think that this trip was one of those moments for these two friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mattie,
    I think the end of the story was very important and I agree that the thing that Thomas always talked about and made Victor angry, brought them together. Victor had the chance to know what really happened with his dad and he got a resolution out of it. He was able to be less stoic and understand why Thomas looked up to his dad so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you; I think that sometimes Victor became resentful when Thomas spoke about his father. It seemed Thomas saw things in Victor's father that Victor either didn't see or took for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi
    I like how you compare Victor and Thomas. I also like how you point out that maybe Thomas knew Victor's father more than his own son did. I totally agree with this statment.
    Thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mattie,

    I really liked your point about how the first time Thomas stuck up for himself was when he said that he wanted to go to Arizona with Victor. Sticking up for himself never really crossed my mind during that scene but I can see how you would get that.

    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete