After reading Sherman Alexie’s story The Joy of Reading and Writing: Superman and Me, I realized I had a lot in common with him. Growing up poor and never expected to go anywhere in life is something that both Alexie and I experienced. According to Spokeman.com they state that growing up poor you are less likely to go to college, and more likely to get in trouble with the law and end up pregnant earlier in life. Sherman Alexie and I both overcame a lot in our lives. For him it was to leave the reservation and become educated. For me it was to not live my life the same way my parents did when I was growing up.
I, like Sherman Alexie grew up in a poor family. This is the first reason that I feel like I can relate to Alexie. Growing up my mother did not work at all. My father was the sole provider as a laborer. He was a roofer so he only had income in the summer time. Winters where a horrible time for us. During that time we lived on government assistance. This was very embarrassing for me growing up. I never wanted anyone to find out that we were poor. Unlike Alexie, were everyone lived on the reservation so they were all in the same circumstances. School for me was a nightmare. I changed schools just about every year. This made it very difficult for me to make any friends and stay up to date with my education. They would either be further ahead or behind were I was. I was teased quite often. I remember one time in particular. It was my seventh grade year and I was going to a school that had a lot of upper class kids there. My mom bought me a new pair of jeans, and I only got clothes once a year unless it was a gift. I ended up wearing the jeans two days in a row and a boy that always picked on me called me a “scrub” in front of everyone. I told my mom that I didn’t feel good for about a week before she asked why I really didn’t want to go back to school. I ended up going to a different school the next year anyways.
Another way that I can relate to Sherman Alexie is he states that “A smart Indian is a dangerous person.” (13) Not that me being smart or successful is dangerous. It’s more that I was looked down on by my family. My father is a 9th grade drop out. My mother finished high school and graduated dental hygienist school. She worked for about a year and then she became a stay at home mom. She was not the soccer mom that everyone thinks of when they think of a stay at home mom. She never attended school events nor did any house work. She spent most of her time in bed. I have three siblings and none of which graduated for a normal high school. I was completing high school with great grades and working full time and my father kicked me out at 17 years old. He said that I didn’t do enough around the house. Now at 24 years old I have realized that my father was jealous and upset that I didn’t need him to support me. I was doing better than he ever did in his 50 years of life. My family always considered me to be stuck up. I was never stuck up I just knew what I wanted in life and I was determined to get there. I wanted a great life for my children. I didn’t want my kids to have to go thru what I did growing up. I knew at the time that I had to get thru high school and be a hard worker to do this.
The last way that I compare myself to Sherman is our determined minds. Alexie didn’t care that he wasn’t supposed to be smart or leave his reservation to further his education. I am also a very determined person. I knew early in life that I wanted to do something in my life. When I found out I was pregnant at 17, just a few months after my father kicked me out. I thought I was starting my adult life off just like parents. I didn’t want to be just another statistic. According to familyfirstaid.org only 1/3 of teen moms receive a high school diploma and only 1.5% of them get a college degree by the age 30. Also 80% of teen moms end up on welfare. I told myself as soon as I got pregnant that I was going to finish high school. I graduated with a 4.0 G.P.A. I did have to make the very difficult decision to put college on hold. I had an obligation to work full time to take care of my son so I didn’t get on welfare. I told myself that I still had time to beat the last statistic of getting a college degree before 30. Even though I didn’t have a college degree I was determined to get a great job. Every job that I have had I excelled at and ended up getting higher positions and better pay.
In conclusion I have had my bumps in the road but I have made it over all of them. Just like Sherman Alexie pushed forward and became a very successful man. I also plan on doing to same thing. Just remember you can do anything you set your mind to, no matter what anyone says.
Like Sherman's story, I find your story to be inspirational. You continue to seek to create a better life for you and your child and defy the statistics. I think you did extremely well on your essay in the way you compared your struggle to Sherman's. I really can't come up with a suggestion for improvement.
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteYour rough draft is great. I think that you could tell more examples of Shermans life and how you relate to his expereinces.
Thank you
Benjamin
Hey Mattie,
ReplyDeleteIt's a really good essay. I'm not quite sure if it needs any adjustments. I can see where you're coming from as I'd had a rough childhood myself.
Thank you for your story.
Estela
Hi Mattie,
ReplyDeletethis is a great essay I like the way that you are able to you use your own life in comparison to Shermans I found it to be very gripping. over all your essay is good, I like your opening and closing and found your body paragraphs have good focused content. But i think the one area that you could work on is the wording of your paragraphs and sentence structures to improve the flow of the essay.
thanks, Cody
You have a very good essay. I didn't find anything that needed to be corrected as far as grammar and punctuation goes. Also, good job with the comparisons!
ReplyDeleteHi dear,
ReplyDeleteI loved your essay and it gave me some good ideas for my own essay!
I think you did a great job to engage the reader to your essay and used enough reference and everything was in the right place.The only thing that I can say is great job and you should be proud of yourself and I am sure you will succeed in anything that you want.