I choose to write about chapter 16 in our Rules for Writers book. This chapter is about how to fix wordy sentences. The reason I choose to write about this is because I have a tendency to make my sentences very wordy. I will use everything I learned in this chapter to help me become a better writer. I learned alot of ways to take words out of a sentence or where to place certain words to get ride of cluster. I use alot of the words that cause more excess words. I will try not to use these words as much as possible.
It doesn't technically mean a sentence is to wordy if it is long. You can determine if a sentence is to wordy by taking out all the words that seem unnecessary. If this has not changed the meaning of the sentence then your sentence was to wordy. The first way to fix a wordy sentence is by eliminating redundancies. You also need to avoid unnecessary repetition of words. Though sometimes is is done deliberately its not usually the best way . Sometimes it is best to cut out empty or inflated phases. Some examples of these are: in my opinion, I think that, it seems that, and one must admit that. Some other words you should try not to use very often are: is, are, was, were, it, there is, and there are. The reason for this is that these words usually generate excess words.
No comments:
Post a Comment