Chapter 48 in our Rules for writers book, is about evaluating arguments. First you will distinguish between reasonable and fallacious argumentative tactics. Logical fallacious are also know as unreasonable argumentative tactics. A hasty generalization is a conclusion based on insufficient or unrepresentative evidence. Where a stereotype is a hasty generalization about a group. Hasty generalization usually contains words like all, ever, always, and never. An analogy points out the similarity between two things that are otherwise different. Sometimes it is quite difficult to draw the line between a reasonable and unreasonable analogy. However if it is totally off base then it is called a false analogy. All writers must weigh their options in order to be fair, and lastly you deduce a cconclusion (deductive reasoning). Deductive reasoning can often be structured in three steps which are major premise, the minor premise, and the conclusion.
Next is distinguishing between legitimate and unfair emotional appeals. The difference is legitimate emotions appeal to the reader by invoking them. Were unfair emotions is when words with strong positive or negative connotations are used with bias language. It attacks the person who holds a belief. Lastly in chapter 48, it talks about how to judge how fairly a writer handles opposing views. Some people are fair were others will do anyting to win their argument. They will set up a "straw man" this is a character so weak that he is easily knocked down. Quoting opposing views usually is good unless taken out of context.
I think I could use this information not only in my writing but also in my readings. I have learned what logical fallacies are. Also I learned about hasty generalization words, and some better words that could be used instead. Another tool I learned that I will use in my writing is to be fair and to explain the opposing views in my argument. I completely agree with this. When I watch political speeches and the components talk badly about one another it makes me feel that they have something to hide about themselves, so they talk about someones elses faults. I am much more likely to believe someone that tells the whole truth and not just their side of the story.
No comments:
Post a Comment