Thursday, October 21, 2010

Shirley Temple Dialogue.

What is the significance of Shirley Temple? I feel that Shirley Temple plays a big part in both Lovey and Jerry's life. They both compare their lives to her life in her movies. Jerry and Lovey always spend their Sunday morning before Church watching Shirley Temple movies. They both start to cry but yet hold it back little. Before the movie is over they have to run off to Sunday School. While at Church they make their own happy ending for the Shirley Temple movie that that were watching just prior to church. Lovey and Jerry would always say "Happy endings all the time." They would even use this in their own lives.
What meaning does Shirley Temple hold for Lovey? I believe that Lovey thinks that Shirley Temple is this perfect, happy, beautiful girl. Lovey wonders how all her endings are always happy. One time Lovey decide to put her and Jerry in the Happy ending with Shirley Temple. Lovey wishes that she could be that all American girl, with the American name, home and  station wagon. Sometimes she is very ashamed of her family because of the way they talk and act. Lovey went as far as getting a Toni perm to try to get the curly Q's that Shirley Temple had. She ended up looking like an Oompah Loompah instead. Oompah Loompah had become their new saying in the family for anything that was worst then ugly that they couldn't find a name for.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Mattie,

    I agree that Lovey sees Shirley Temple's life as perfect; she always has a happy ending, and Lovey is envious of that. I think Lovey's immaturity magnifies her misery. She's thirteen. She doesn't have the maturity and the knowledge to understand that what she sees in the media isn't real and seeking perfection based on what she sees there only adds to her unhappiness. The Oompah Loompah chapter speaks to the futility of trying to become something other than herself.

    Thanks for your insights!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mattie,
    I think that Lovey's life is really sad and like that of many kids in today's society. She thinks that Shirley's life is perfect because of what she sees on television and because of that she is ashamed of her own family. It only adds fuel to the flame when she tries the perm and it fails her as well. Just like children all over the world, she only wants what she sees on television knowing that it may never be a part of her. I wonder at what point will children realize that even people on television lives arent perfect either. Thanks for the read. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    I think you captured the stories and there meaning . I enjoyed your comments and agree with the others, it is true the neighbors yard looks better then our own sometimes.

    BetteJo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I like the way that you put it, that shirley temple is perfect. When your a kid you always wanted to different than you were. If you had straight hair, you wanted curls..... It's still the same, my kid looks like Shirley Temple and she wants straight hair . I really like the way that you explain the stories, nice write
    Thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Benjamin,
    I agree with you that Lovey wanted to be the all American girl like Shirley Temple. I enjoyed reading your dialogue you explained your opinions well good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mattie,

    I like how you highlight all of the important aspects of reading; although, it seem like it was more of a summary that a response. In a way a feel like she looked up to Shirley Temple’s happy ending and wish her own life had happy endings like Shirley’s. I believe everyone of us would like to have happy endings on our lives.

    Estela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mattie,
    I agree with you about how Shirley Temple was an important character in Lovely’s life because she though Shirley had a perfect life and was all around perfect. Lovely wanted her life to be this perfect.But what Lovely didn’t get is that not everything you see on television is really, a lot of it is made up. But sometimes with the way our society is trying to say that if you look, talk, or act a certain way then you are perfect. I don’t belief that there such a thing as being perfect. Thinks for sharing your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Mattie,

    I really enjoyed reading your dialogue on Shirley Temple. I would have to agree with you completely on why Shirley Temple means so much to them. From the movies that I have seen with her in it, it does seem that she is pretty perfect and I can see why Lovey would want to have happy endings just like her.

    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete