Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Coming Home again

    I chose to write about why food is so important in the story. I think there are a couple reasons why the food is so important. First I think it is important because it made memories for a young boy and his mother. All the boy wanted to do as a child was spend his free time in the kitchen with his mother and watch her cook. The food was part of their culture, it represented them as a Koren family. Not only did it make memories, it was also the ice breaker when they came back together after he went off to boarding school. When the the boy came home for vacation or his mother came to visit him, there was always an awkward silence, so the mother made sure to make his favorite meal. 
    After 10 years of not being at home his mother got sick with Cancer. This is when he decided to go back  home to spend time with her. All those times when he was younger watching his mother in the kitchen, really paid off. When he came home he did all the cooking. He made meals that he hoped his mother would enjoy and love. Although she was not able to eat, she would always try the food and let him know what he did or didn't add enough of. After his mothers passing, he decided to stay home and cook for the family. When she passed away all of her recipes went with her. He only knew how to make the food from watching his mother as a young boy.
   

5 comments:

  1. Hey Mattie,
    Im glad that you chose the food topic because thats what I chose as well. I felt that the food was also more than food because it allowed the family to have discussions about things that they probably wouldn't ordinarily get the chance to talk about. I felt that he wanted that opportunity of bonding with her as a boy as well. I just think that food for that family was not only a way to bring them together but a way to give them memories of their mom and her last moments once she was gone. Thanks for the right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mattie,
    I really like how you reflected on food as being part of their culture. I thought this was very important information. It reminded his family that even though they were living in the US, family traditions were very important to them. I thought your writing was very good and in an organized manner. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I agree, I choose to write about the food aswell. I liked how the author used it to tie all of the story together. I think everyone's family should take the time to sit and eat together, it gives you a chance to reflect on the day.
    Thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    I did not make the choice about food but, after reading what you wrote it made me look at the story in a different light. It does make for a family connection and is an important thing to do.

    BetteJo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mattie,

    I like that you highlight the way food serves as "common ground" for the mother and son. It's the thing that brings them together. Your point about him continuing to cook even though his mother couldn't eat makes me wonder if cooking was a way for him to keep the memory of his mother alive.

    Thanks for giving me more to think about.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete