Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Shooting Dad

     The significance of the title doesn't come out until the end of the story. I believe that the significance is that Sarah wants to be the one to shoot her fathers ashes out of the cannon. Even though she decided at the age of six that she would never shoot another gun in her life. She decided to shoot the cannon because she didn't compare it to a gun. Shooting the cannon was an opportunity for Sarah and her dad to bond.
     Sarah made a big step in her life to want to relate with her father and his gunsmithing. If she never made the decision to tell her father she wanted to go out with him to shoot the cannon, then she would have never experienced that moment in her life that they where alot alike. To shoot her fathers ashes out of the cannon when he passes away is the significance of the story "Shooting Dad"

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mattie,
    I totally agree with you. The significance of the title does come at the end. I completely understand how Sarah felt about the gun thing. My dad and I are also on opposite ends of the spectrum about this. It was exciting to me that Sarah and her dad came to appreciate each other for their differences and their hobbies. It helped me to understand that even though families have differences they are still family. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mattie,

    I agree with you that the significance doesn't come until the end. What I love about the title is the way Vowell caught me completely off guard with it the first time I read "Shooting Dad". I remember being surprised by the ending because it wasn't at all what I expected.

    Thanks for your insight!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mattie,

    I would also have to agree that the significance didn’t come till the end. It is ironic that his largest and most extravagant creation (cannon) is what finally got them together and gave them some common perspective. I thought the ending of the story was amazing and really pulled it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mattie,
    It's very true that if it weren't have been for the cannon and their experience while shooting it, Vowell and her dad would have not realize how much they have in common. I think you got a very good point there.
    Estela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mattie,
    I also agree that if Vowell and her dad didn't have the opportunity to shoot the cannon off together they never would have become close at the end of the story. I think you have made some very great points in your summary. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    I agree that the significance only comes to light at the end of the story. I really liked how the writer waited until the end to bringit all together. I never thought of her shooting cannon was not like shooting a gun. I see what you are trying to say and I think that it was more important for them to bond and recognize that they had more in common.
    Thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mattie,
    The first part of the story was so different and kind of boring for me but it was just a way of knowing the family and especially dad and Sarah and shows us who really they are.
    But from the mid part of the story we get the point and for me was really interesting that she become that far and that close to her dad.

    ReplyDelete