Chapter 3 is about revising your essay. The first way to revise is global, then you will revise your sentences. The reason you do global revising first is because you may end up taking out whole sentences. You don't want to revise a sentence that you may end up taking out later. You always want to walk away from you rough draft for a little while before attempting any revisions. When you return to your essay, you should read it out loud as if you were reading to an audience.
Revising your sentences will be the last step before you attempt your final draft. While revising your sentences you want to look for a couple different things such as clarity, effectiveness, grammar, punctuation, and mechanics. When using the grammar and spell checker on the computer you need to be very careful. Sometimes theses tools don't pick up everything for example: memorize or memories, they are both spelled correctly but they are miss used. A good strategy for proof reading would be to read your essay in reverse. This takes your mind away from the story as a whole and directs your attention to each sentence individually.
This is something that I need to start applying to my essays. I proof read my work but I never revise it. After reading the essays in the book, I can see how much of a difference it makes. After the global revision, the essay sounded so much better and more put together. I also like the tip it gave about reading in reverse. I will definitely do this next time. I find myself paying to much attention to the story behind the sentences and not proof reading. I believe this was the biggest mistake I made on our first essay. I should have spent more time revising it before submitting my final draft.
No comments:
Post a Comment