How is education a means to save one's life? The way that Sherman Alexie explains it is that you either need to get an education or don't and you will have to live your life as middle class on the reservation. How is Alexie attempting to save the life of the students he works with? Alexie has become a speaker and writer. He goes to schools on reservations and encourages the children to read and write. He promotes education and trys to reach out to the ones that have shut themselves out.
How did Alexis save his own life? Sherman Alexie saved his own life by not giving up. He picked up everything in sight and read it. While in school, he was told to back down but he didn't. He pushed on and was determined to get an education. Now he is a very successful writer sharing his novels, short stories, and poetry with Indian children.
Hi Mattie,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your ideas. I love the way Alexie describes literacy as a means to save his "life." I think we can read "life" literally and figuratively. He literally improves his life and raises his standard of living by attaining an eduction. More importantly, he saves himself from the spiritual and psychological death that may come as the result of colonization.
Lauren
I like your ideas. I can relate to your comments for Alexie because I am him. I came from an area that expected me to back down as well. But my determination and drive led me to make other decisions because I want to live as well. My decision was also made to save my life. Thanks for your comments.
ReplyDeleteI think that it's great that Sherman Alexie is paying it forward through visiting the children within the Indian reservation school system. There should be more people like him out there to encourage children to look beyond where they are from and to reach their full potential.
ReplyDeleteHi Mattie,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your comments. I truly believe as Alexie does, that education can save a life. I wish I was encouraged to get an education when I was younger, but you know what they say, it is never to late no matter how old you are. I wish there was a way to reach all young people and explain to them how education can save their life. Barb
Hello Mattie,
ReplyDeleteI understand where you are going with your comments however, I felt that Alexie was sending an even stronger message that being middle class. I felt that without an education he feels that Indian children are headed for a life of poverity or worse. Getting an education for these children, and many others, is simular to throwing a safety net to someone who is drowing.
BetteJo
Hi Mattie,
ReplyDeleteI agree with Alexie that education can save your life. I mean, these days without going to school and going to college, you really can't get far. Neither of my parents went to college and back then, it didn't really matter and it was still easy to get a job!