Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Freewriting Exercise

Hello Everyone,

     What is a freewrite? I personally think it's the funnest and easiest English assignment I'll ever do in my life. It's an exercise you do as quickly, with out being rushed, as possible. You are given a topic to write about. If you can't think about what to write regarding the subject, you write what ever comes to mind. The only rule is that you never stop writing.
     When freewriting, you do not think about grammar or spelling. You also do not go back and cross anything out. The way it facilitates better writing is by writing what is on your mind, instead what sounds the best. You take the good pieces out of your freewrites and apply it to your actual text.
     In highschool I never did good in English class. I think that's because I never payed enough attention. I never knew there was something called  freewriting. After reading about how freewriting works and how it helps you to write, I'm really excited to try it.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mattie,

    I wish I knew about freewriting when I was in college. I always felt like everything I wrote needed to be perfect; I would agonize over every line I wrote, trying to get it just write. I didn't really enjoy writing, and the idea that writing could be fun and stress-free never occurred to me. Now that I teach, I've come to realize that professional writers love to write, in part, because they're choosing topics they love, and they're doing freewrites to get ideas down on paper without stressing over every detail.

    Thanks for sharing your perspectives!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I guess you and I were in the same English classes because I didnt learn anything in there either. LOL. I am like you with this freewriting because I never heard of it before and apparently its been around forever. And I too think this is the easiest part of an English assignment because the only way I could go wrong is if I dont do the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mattie,
    I never heard of free writing before either and really thought it was a great idea and would really help me with my writing but I was still nervous to do the assignment! I have such a hard time not editing myself and fixing typos or spelling errors. I like that we can get everything out and take what we need from the exercise. I think it will be helpful.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I loved freewriting too, because it empowers you and let you shine. I always was ashamed of my writings and now I understand what was my problem. I used to stop after a sentence and think and write another sentence and meanwhile I checked my grammar and spelling and punctuation and at the end nothing made sense and it made more nervous. I learned that the focus is just on writing and that means a lot in writing.
    So the main point is just writing nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, it really seams like everyone shares the same feelings about freewriting. I was never any good at writing in general and i still have a hard time with it but after i did the freewriting exercise i actually felt relieved like i had gotten a lot off of my chest. I

    ReplyDelete