Tuesday, November 2, 2010

This is what it means to say Phoenix Arizona, Dialogue

Are you more impressed with the film or the story? Why?
I have to say I am way more impressed with the movie. After reading the story there wasn’t anything in common except that Victor’s father died, and him and Thomas went to pick up his truck and ashes. In the story there wasn’t any connection between Victor and Thomas like there was in the movie. I felt like the movie was more about building a friendship between the two. In the book it seemed like Victor really didn’t like Thomas at all. I felt like in the movie that Victor was rude to Thomas but deep down really cared about him.
The other reason I am more impressed with the movie over the story is because of the apology that Victor gave to Thomas. The apology in the story was just for beating him up when they where younger. In the movie it was more for everything, the way he treated him through out their life. It was also a lot more sincere.
Lastly, the reason I was more impressed with the movie was because there was more originality to it. What I mean by this is the way they got to Arizona. I enjoyed the drive in reverse to the bus station. I also like the connection that Thomas and Victor had when Thomas tried to act more like Victor. I just feel like overall the movie was much better.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Mattie,
    I felt the same way. I liked the movie much better. I felt in the writing there was not anything special to Victor and Thomas's friendship. They jumped on a plane, got a taxi, went to the trailer, picked up the truck and back home again. Not enough time for a real friendship bonding experience. I really enjoyed your reading. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mattie,
    I thought that the movie was way better too. And just like you said in the story, Victor only apologized for beating him up and not about everything he had done to him like in the movie. I also felt that in the movie they had a special bond after the trip, but in the story they were still like strangers and no type of attachment at all. Thanks for the write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mattie,

    Your observation of Victor's apology is great. It's a sign of his growth and maturity; he apologizes not just for beating him up, but the overall affect he's had on Thomas.

    The one thing I like about the text version is the way we are allowed to view Alexie's growth as a story teller. Just like Thomas' stories change, so does Alexie's story about Thomas and Victor.

    Thanks for your insights.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mattie,
    I was also more impressed with the movie which is surprising since the books are always better! I felt like there wasn't much substance to the reading and the movie had much more meaning.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mattie,

    I feel the same way as you did, the movie was much better then the story. The movie showed a better connection between Victor and Thomas. Yes, I definitely hated the apology that Victor gave in the story and how at the end they couldn't be friends because of what people might say, that was very wrong. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I liked the story better I felt that it brought a more personal not to the story reading it instead of watching it. I felt like you got more of a feeling for who the characters were when you read the short story the characters were able to exist in your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,
    I also liked the movie better than the written story. The written story did'nt bring the characters to life for me, as well as the movie did.
    Thank you
    Benjamin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mattie,
    After both reading the short story and watching the movie, I think that this is a perfect example of attempting to write about too much in too little space. In the short story it seems like all they do is fly to Arizona, get the truck and ashes from Victor's fathers house, and go back home. Needless to say, I was a lot more impressed with the movie as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the short story over the movie. Even though in the movie Victor apologies to Thomas over what Victor's father did, I feel like the writers for the movie sugar coated it so there would be a happy ending. I prefer the story over the movie, because I feel like it’s more realistic.

    ReplyDelete