Saturday, November 13, 2010

Chapter 43

Chapter 43 is about spelling. The way you learn to spell is through experience. You get experience when you read and write. The best way to become a good speller is if you don’t know how to spell a work you need to look it up in a dictionary. In order to do this you need to be familiar with your dictionaries. Sometimes there is more then one word. The word that appears first is usually the preferred spelling of that word. Also in the main entry it will show you how to separate a word by syllables. Right after that you will find the pronunciation. The other things you will find in the dictionary are word ending, grammatical label, word origin, synonyms, antonyms and usage.
When spelling you also need to discriminate between words that sound the same but have different meanings. Such as affect and effect. You also need to become familiar with the major spelling rules. For example I before E except after C, or when sounded like ay, as in neighbor. You also need to learn when to keep the E and when to drop it. When adding S or ED to words ending in Y, you need to know when to keep the Y or change it to IE. Lastly you need to know when to add a S or and ES.
The reason I chose chapter 43 on spelling is because spelling is my weakest point. I have never been a good speller, and know I know why. I learned so many rules that I never knew. I thought learning about plurals the most interesting. I never knew the rule about adding a S or when it is proper to add and ES. It was also very interesting to learn what everything means when you look a word up in a dictionary. After reading the definition I never knew what everything else meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment