Saturday, November 20, 2010

All I ask for is my body II dialogue

Why does Kiyoshi believe Obaban is a substitute for his mother?

Kiyoshi mother is very superstitious. She believes many things that some people like Kiyoshis' father thinks are just ridiculous. One of her believes is that close relatives can die for other people even if they never did anything wrong. These people that die for them are called substitutes. She also believes that death comes in fours. She had already had three family members die. Kiyoshi uncle, his grandmother and her father, it will keep going until the forth person dies.

The reason Kiyoshi believes that Obaban is his mothers substitute is for many reasons. I think first off is that there has to be one more person in the family that has to pass away. Kiyoshi has learned from his mother that Obaban is considered the black sheep. She had broke a very secret rule. You are not suppose to do anything in the first forty-nine days after someones dies. She got elope before these days were up. Lastly, Kiyoshis' mother was pretty much on her death bed and then Obaban died suddenly. His mother was well enough after this to leave the hospital and make it to Obaban service. Kiyoshi felt bad that he was so happy that Obaban has passed away, but he believes that his mother is now going to be alright.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mattie,
    I really enjoyed your writing. I agree with everything you said. I thought you explained what "substitute" meant really well. Kiyoshi's mother sure did have a lot of superstitions. At one place in the book it mentioned that Kiyoshi was scared because his mother was so supersititious. I could see how that could affect a person. Have a great Thanksgiving. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mattie,
    I too agreed that his mother's beliefs are on the border line of ridiculous. They are almost humerous to me in a sense. I too thought that her beliefs were just a bit much, I couldn't imagine living in that family. Thanks for the read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mattie,

    This section really lets us into Mrs. Oyama's thinking. So many things don't go her way and she's living a difficult life. Some of these superstitions seem to be an attempt on her part to find a reason; I think she needs a reason for her suffering.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mattie,
    I agree with all of your points on why Kiyoshi feels Obanan is his mother's substitute. I think that Kiyoshi had no hope the day after Obanan left, he felt his mother would surely die. Then, for something miraculous like that happening, there is no way for him to explain it except for basing the reason on the superstition he'd learned from his mother. Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mattie,
    I didn't even think about how she believed that bad things happen in fours. That is a good reason why Kiyoshi would think Obaban was the substitute. I think a huge reason Mrs. Oyama was strong enough to go visit Obaban was because it was so important to her and she willed herself well enough to go. She would have gone even if she had to be carried. Of course, she would never believe that was why!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mattie
    I found your post to be insightful. Even as silly as the superstitions seem to us in this families culture and in the times they were living in I think they were a defense mode. The mother in this family had a hard life and her old ways seemed to make sense to her. It was the way she explained her life.

    BetteJo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Kyoshi's mother is to hard on herself. not only does she get caught up in all of the superstition but she truly believes that she is worthless and doesnt understand why she is being "saved" for a second time. I think all of that superstition and being so careful is part of why she was sick in the first place.

    ReplyDelete