Saturday, November 13, 2010

All I ask for is my body dialogue

Makot is a young Japanese boy who lives in a Filipino camp. He seems to be a little confused about himself and life in general. He only hangs out with younger boys. I do feel sorry for him because it seems to me that he feels he has to buy friendship. The only way he is able to do this is with the younger boys because the one's his age don't want to be his friend. All the boys his age make fun of him and call him names like a "wahine" which means girl or sissy in Hawaiian. When he doesn't get his way he will whine and tell the young boys that he is not going to buy them goodies anymore.
I was a little confused with he end of the story. I don't know why Kiyo's parents say that Makot parents are bad people. I think Makot doesn't care for or respect his parents at all. I think they show him love through money. I think he copes with his parents by never being at home. He is always out with they boys. He always wants to go to the movies or something. I think he is very embarrassed with his parents. That is why he never lets anyone over when they are home.

8 comments:

  1. I too at some times feel sorry for him but it is all for the reasons of his parents actions and his being an outcast to the others because of their actions. Makot's parents were bad because of what they were doing to get money. That is why he doesnt respect them. I enjoyed your write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mattie,
    Good write. Can you imagine how Makot felt as a young man having to buy friendship? How sad. I feel the same way you do, Makot does not know how to respect his parents because his parents do not show him love or respect. We learn from our parents. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you cant blame Makot for how he was raised. I don't feel sorry for him because he is a privileged boy in a poor area. At the same time, like you said his parents show him affection through money and that really affects his lifestyle and the way he acts. He needs the younger boys to worship him so he can feel better then them because he is lacking that affection at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mattie,

    Part of your confusion stems from the way our narrator describes the occupations of Makot's parents. Kiyoshi only hints at this disreputable work; he can't even bring himself to state that she's a prostitute. This says something about his character.

    The Filipino camp is predominately, if not entirely, male. This is how Makot's mother is able to make money.

    Makot raises great questions about the way children form their identities based on their parents.

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mattie,
    I also feel sorry for him. It's obvious he is embarrased by his parents. He doesn't even want to be around them that's why he is always hanging out with Kiyo and the other kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Mattie,

    Interesting comments and questions you raise about the reading. It will be interesting to see if the reading continues to include him in the on going story.

    BetteJO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mattie
    I wrote about Makot as well. I stated that I didn't really feel sorry for him. It is sad that he relies on the younger kids to be friends with him, but on the flip side he may come out ahead of his parents because he may learn what the 'wrong" way to live may be like. I see his shame but not anger. Maybe he takes it out in other ways, or maybe he will do something with the gun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mattie,

    I liked what you had to say about the book and the chapter, and agreed with most point. but I found my self not feeling sorry for Makot, because while you make a relevant point that he him self doesn't know any better from his parents. he should still know better because as his own person he should be adhere of the boundaries between right and wrong

    ReplyDelete