When I first started this book I didn't care much for it. I thought it was very boring. Once I started to get to the end of this book I couldn't put it down. I have a lot of different feeling about this story but the end of the story was really good. I understand both Kiyoshi and Tosh's way of thinking. Both these boys were very strong willed but in different ways.
The end of the story was wonderful. I was very glad that Kiyoshi won the $6,000 to send back to his family, even though it was not his duty. Tosh was suppose to help his family pay of this debt. I think that Kiyoshi has a great heart. He is a good son and brother. He did not only pay off this debt for his parents but he also did it for his brother and for himself. Kiyoshi could have just taken this money and never told the family about it but he didn't. I though it was really sweet that he actually felt bad about winning the money. He felt like he stole it form the other men. But in the end family is the most important thing to the Japanese.
Hi Mattie,
ReplyDeleteJust like you,when I first started reading I didnt care for the book much either. However, as the story went along I began to enjoy it more. I also thought it was cool that Kiyoshi paid off the family's debt and also did it to help his brother in his life as well. I think that because of the winning, now both of these boys will have a chance to enjoy life instead of slaving to pay off debts that will seemingly never be paid. Thanks for the read.
Hello Mattie,
ReplyDeleteI also had a hard time getting into this story. I lokked into the family life of Japanese people and fround this was a common thing, the paying of ones family debts by the children. Because the older brother did not get off the plantation it fell to Kiyoshi to try and break the cycle. I don't think because of family duty and honor he would have ever just kept the money.
BetteJo
I also enjoyed the ending. It was a relief to know the family would be out of debt and they would be given the possibility of a better future. Hopefully, they were able to leave the plantation and enjoy a better quality of life.
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI thought that the story was boring as well when I first started readig it. But as it went on, I could not stop reading it. the ending was my favorite part as well. I like how he felt that he should pay the money off, not because he had to but because he could. Nice write
Hi Mattie,
ReplyDeleteHi Mattie, it also took me a while to warm up to this book but i did especially towards the end. I was also glad that Kiyoshi was able to get the money to pay his parent's debt even though it probably didn't come from the best place.
Hi Mattie,
ReplyDeleteI agree with you at first I didn’t find the book very interesting at all. But as I continued to read it I got more into it. I also agree with you on how family is the most important thing for Japanese. Good blog.